There are plenty of semi-confusing terms tossed around in the home service industry, like field service management. Wondering what that is? We get that a lot! There’s a good chance you’ve heard about it too. So what is field service management and does it apply to your specific line of work?
What is field service management?
IBM defines field service management as “the coordination of a company’s resources, including employees and equipment, in work activities and operations off company property.” Field service management usually includes dispatching workers to a residence or business to install, maintain, or repair equipment, and systems. It also includes keeping track of your team and resources. And without the right tools, it can be a complete nightmare. (Spoiler: the right tools are outlined below.)
What is field service management software?
For businesses that make house calls, field service management (FSM) software simply refers to allocating off-site resources required to serve customers. That’s a fancy way of saying it helps you handle everything and everyone from one place.
We want to help you understand what field service management software is and how your business might use it. Here’s an overview of this revolutionary way to streamline your workflow.
What is field service management (FSM) software used for?
Field service management software comes in many different forms and can include everything from scheduling appointments and dispatching workers to determining the locations of your vehicles. Through the years, FSM has evolved from a basic pencil-and-paper process into a sophisticated set of computer-based tools with the latest technology. These computer programs are collectively known as field service management software.
Today’s computer-based field service management software platforms are loaded with features. They can also be customized to suit any type of home-service business. And since these tools are accessible from laptops and phones, they make running a home-service business easier than ever.
What type of businesses use field service management software?
Field service management software is helpful for all kinds of home service businesses. This includes HVAC companies, electricians, plumbers, and carpet cleaners, as well as providers of services like solar panel installation and home automation. We could keep going.
Here’s a quick list (that just scrapes the surface) of professions that stand to benefit from FSM software:
How does field service management software work?
Tools mainly revolve around online dashboards and mobile apps. The online dashboards provide business administrators with a bird’s-eye glance at a company’s entire operation at any given time. They also allow easy access to nearly every part of the business with just a few clicks. Mobile apps are ideal for workers in the field and provide all the info they need about upcoming appointments. These mobile apps also make communication with customers and team members a breeze.
Field service management software tools allow everyone in the company instant, easy access to the information they need wherever they are. But the best field service management software offers even more.
Top 11 benefits of using field service management software
There’s no doubt field service management software can streamline your operations. Here are 11 of the many benefits of using field service management.
- Simplified booking process: From the field to the web, Housecall Pro field service software gets the next job when your calendar is available. It works perfectly with HCP Assist, our live-agent answering service dedicated to field service businesses. On the job or on vacation, you’re getting work on the books!
- Simpler scheduling management: Oversee your workforce in the field more easily and effectively. Dispatchers can see where each tech is located in real-time and can use drag-and-drop calendar scheduling to move appointments around.
- Streamlined payments: Issue professional invoices pre-populated with job details and custom messaging at the touch of a button. Let customers pay with a card or bank transfer online, in person, or over the phone.
- Memberships: Get paid monthly for recurring services like maintenance or cleanings.
- Enhanced appearance: Using the all-in-one app that integrates with popular field service business apps means you’ll appear more professional to customers.
- Empowered employees: Help your field team close more deals. What’s the secret? A streamlined estimates-to-invoice process using a visual price book based on nationwide pricing.
- Improved communications: Chat with customers on your website, in the app, and send On-My-Way texts with location tracking so they’re always in the know.
- Pipeline: Generate your next job with easy-to-use software that brings you your next job opportunity.
- Business financing: Having access to funds when you need them is critical when you’re trying to grow your business. With field service management software, you have the opportunity to pay back your business loan with jobs scheduled right onto your Housecall Pro calendar.
- Integrated CRM: Import and manage customers, calendars, and accounting information on Housecall Pro reports when you integrate with major business apps like ThumbTack, QuickBooks, and MailChimp.
- 24/7 overview: The dashboard offers a bird’s-eye view of your entire business anytime and anywhere.
Try Housecall Pro’s field service management software
The advent of field service management software has revolutionized the way home service businesses operate. It’s important to choose the right field service management software. Not all FSM software is created equal.
If you’re ready to run more efficiently, Housecall Pro could be exactly what you’re looking for. We offer three tiers of tools and services built specifically for businesses like yours. Our comprehensive packages make it easy and affordable for companies like yours to operate more efficiently. And that, of course, means more revenue. If you’re ready to experience the difference Housecall Pro can make for your home-service business, start a 14-day free trial today.