Ohio handyman license: everything you need to know
A handyman provides a variety of useful services for residential and commercial customers. Popular types of handyman services include carpentry, cabinet repair, and minor plumbing work. As a handyman, you have the opportunity to work as an independent contractor or operate a handyman business.
This Ohio handyman license guide contains everything you need to know about getting the required licenses and finding a job in this profession.
Do you need a license in Ohio to become a handyman?
The state of Ohio does not require a specific handyman license to perform minor repair work on residential property. However, you must possess a contractor specialty license to perform work in specialized trades such as refrigeration, hydronic, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing. A general contractors license is required to perform structural repairs and alterations.
Licensed specialty contractors in Ohio perform a variety of work in specialized trades, including maintenance, installations, and repairs. Contractor specialty license applicants must:
- Be a U.S. citizen (or a legal alien).
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have at least 5 years of experience as a tradesperson in one or more contractor specialty areas.
- Complete an FBI background check.
- Pass an examination in one or more of the specialty areas.
- Possess liability insurance.
- Submit a notarized application packet.
- Possess good problem-solving skills and the physical ability to perform the job.
General contractors in Ohio work on new building construction, repair commercial properties, and make structural changes to commercial and residential buildings. Applicants for a general contractors license must:
- Be at least 18 years old with a high school diploma or GED.
- Be a U.S. citizen, alien or permanent resident of the United States.
- Have at least three years of general contractor work experience.
- Possess liability insurance.
- Possess a bond of at least $25,000.
- Submit a notarized general contractor application.
The Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board issues specialty contractor licenses. General contractor licenses are issued at the local level.
Without a specialty contractor or general contractor license, a handyman can only perform basic projects such as painting and basic repairs. In some cities in Ohio, regulations prevent unlicensed handyman professionals from charging more than $1,000 per job and working on commercial properties. Contact the licensing board in your city for specific requirements.
Depending on your license, skills, and qualifications, you can earn between $45 and $125 per hour as a licensed independent contractor handyman. Without a license, you can expect to earn between $15 and $30 per hour.
How much does it cost to get a handyman license in Ohio?
The license fee for Ohio specialty contractors is $25 per license. For general contractors, application fees are determined by local licensing boards.
How to get a handyman license in Ohio
Although Ohio does not offer a specific handyman license, you must determine the type of license you need to perform handyman services. Apply for a specialty contractor license to perform electrical, HVAC, refrigeration, hydronic, or plumbing work. Submit a general contractor application to perform structural repair services for residential and commercial customers.
Handyman Training Programs
- Builders License Training Institute
- Contractor Training Center
- Online General Contractor Courses – Tests.com
Prerequisite for Training Programs
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Pass a general aptitude test.
- Modify, repair, and alter existing structures.
- Provide home improvement services such as bathroom/kitchen renovations.
- Demolish residential and commercial structures.
Ohio Handyman License Information:
Exams are required for specialty contractor and general contractor licenses. The examination fee is $69 each. You must score a minimum of 70% to pass each examination.
- Ohio Contractor License
- Contractor License Practice Exam (Ohio)
- General Contractors Practice Test – Tests.com
How to use your handyman license to get a job
From handyman helpers to specialty contractors, there are several types of jobs available for skilled contractors. Use the following information to find a handyman or contractor job:
Where to Find Handyman Jobs
Handyman Job Search Tips
- Look for job advertisements on classified websites.
- Build professional relationships with other handyman professionals and contractors.
- Network in your local community.
Useful Handyman Job Interview Tips
- Wear professional clothing.
- Practice your interview skills.
- Provide honest responses to all questions.
Handyman industry trends
The robust housing market contributes to the growth of the handyman industry. Residential property owners hire handyman professionals for drywall repair, electrical work, and plumbing installations/repairs.
Licensing boards enact Ohio handyman license requirements. Licenses determine the type of work that a handyman professional is authorized to perform. Handyman professionals must possess different licenses to remain competitive in this industry.
Financial institutions lend money to residential and commercial property owners. As a result, they have more money to spend on repairs, installations, and structural improvements.
Is my handyman license only valid in Ohio?
Many handyman professionals in Ohio have general contractor and specialty contractor licenses. Ohio offers reciprocity agreements for specialty contractors with North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Louisiana.
To request a name change, address change, or duplicate card, contact your local licensing board.
How often do I need to renew my handyman license in Ohio?
General contractor and specialty contractor licenses must be renewed every year. The general contractor license renewal fee is determined by local licensing boards in Ohio. The specialty contractor license renewal fee is $25.
Keep up with the latest trends in the home services industries
Housecall Pro offers a monthly newsletter complete with tips and advice on how to manage your home service business. Sign up today and get more content like this as well as access to free ebooks, guides, and webinars.