Alabama handyman license:
Everything you need to know
Skilled handyman professionals are in demand in Alabama. Commercial businesses and residential property owners hire licensed handyman contractors for repair, installation, and maintenance services.
It’s the best time to get a job in the Alabama handyman industry. This Alabama handyman license guide contains everything you need to know about the profession.
Do you need a license in Alabama to become a handyman?
Alabama does not offer licenses for handyman professionals to perform general maintenance and repair work. General Alabama handyman services include installations (window blinds, sliding doors, ceiling fans), basic landscaping (removing weeds and mowing lawns), and drywall repair.
To perform commercial and residential project work with a value of $50,000 or more, you must apply for a general contractor license in Alabama. As a handyman, you may not perform plumbing or electrical work without a license.
Licensed Alabama contractors rehabilitate, repair, maintain, demolish, and alter buildings, structures, and highways. Alabama contractor license applicants must:
- Be a U.S. citizen (or a legal alien).
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Submit a list of at least three references.
- Pass an examination.
- Possess liability insurance.
- Possess good problem-solving skills and the physical ability to perform the job.
The Alabama Licensing Board for General Contractors issues general contractor licenses.
When it comes to licensing regulations, the Alabama licensing board enforces strict laws. The Alabama general contractor licensing board issues fines to people who perform unauthorized work without a license.
Licensed general contractors who work as independent contractors charge as much as $125 per hour. As an unlicensed handyman professional, expect to earn between $15 and $30 per hour.
How much does it cost to get a handyman license in Alabama?
The cost of an Alabama handyman license is $300.
How to get a handyman license in Alabama
Without a general contractor license, the scope of work that you are eligible to perform is limited to general repairs and installations. Become a highly-skilled and versatile handyman professional by applying for an Alabama general contractor license.
Handyman training programs
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Pass a general aptitude test.
- Replace windows and roofing materials.
- Modify, repair, and alter existing structures.
- Renovate residential and commercial kitchens and bathrooms.
- Install cabinetry, lighting, and fixtures.
- Safety Codes
- Project Management
- Basic Construction Principles
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
- Alabama Laws and Contracts
Alabama Handyman and General Contractor Courses:
Expect to pay at least $250 per course. Financial aid is available for students who attend accredited schools.
Alabama Handyman License Information:
Exams are required for Alabama general contractor licenses. The examination fee is $96 for the first part of the exam and $192 for the second part of the exam. You must score a minimum of 70% to pass each examination. PSI Exams administers the exams.
Alabama examination resources
- Alabama General Contractor License
- General Contractor Practice Test
- Alabama Contractors License Prep Course
How to use your handyman license to get a job
As a professional with an Alabama handyman license, there are many opportunities available to you. The following information can help you get a job in the handyman industry:
Where to find handyman jobs
Handyman job search tips
- Ask friends and colleagues for job leads.
- Attend contractor/handyman job fairs.
- Advertise your contractor/handyman services.
Useful handyman job interview tips
- Share a portfolio of your previous work with hiring managers.
- Wear professional clothing.
- Practice your interview skills.
- Speak positive about previous employers.
Handyman industry trends
Thanks to a strong U.S. economy, the handyman industry is growing at a rapid rate. Homeowners have access to thousands of dollars in home renovation loans from financial institutions. They use this money to hire handyman professionals to replace windows, renovate rooms, and perform electrical work.
New technology has changed the way handyman professionals and general contractors do their work. They attend trade shows to learn about new tools and best practices in the handyman industry. National trade shows include:
Is my handyman license only valid in Alabama?
Handyman professionals in Alabama are licensed as general contractors. Alabama offers reciprocity agreements for general contractors with any state that has comparable licensing and examination guidelines.
I already have a license but:
- I changed my name – Submit a name change form.
- I misplaced the card – Submit a replacement card request.
- I changed my address – Submit a change of address form.
How often do I need to renew my handyman license in Alabama?
General contractor licenses in Alabama are valid for a year. The renewal fee is $200. Licensees who fail to renew their licenses on time are required to submit a new general contractor license application and retake the examination.
Keep up with the latest trends in the home services industries
Housecall Pro offers a monthly newsletter complete with tips and advice on how to manage your home service business. Sign up today and get more content like this as well as access to free ebooks, guides, and webinars.